Substitute Teaching


Certified Substitutes

Kanawha County Schools will accept substitute teacher applications from individuals who are qualified by having a current West Virginia educator's license or who have recently completed a teacher preparation program, including student teaching, and have recommendation for licensure and are waiting for the current license to arrive.

Non-Certified Substitutes

Kanawha County Schools will also be accept substitute teacher applications from non-certified individuals.  The minimum requirements and process are as follows:

  1. You must have any Bachelor's Degree with a 2.0 or higher GPA.
  2. You must fill out an application under the employment link:  KCS Job Openings.  Once you have submitted your application, please contact the KCS Certification Specialist at 304-348-7770, ext. 115 in order to get started. 
    1. You will be interviewed.
    2. If selected, you will be required to take an on-line training course.
    3. You will complete certification paperwork and a background check through the West Virginia Department of Education (WVDE).
    4. You will complete the KCS employment process once your certification has been approved by the WVDE.
  3. For more information concerning non-certified individuals, please see the following brochure:  Non-Certified Substitute Teacher Informational Brochure


Please contact Jamea Brinckman at [email protected] to address any questions you may have.


Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2024 SchoolMessenger Corporation. All rights reserved.