2018 Excess Levy
In the 2018 General Election, Kanawha County residents will consider an excess levy for Kanawha County Schools. Our excess levies last five years and our current excess levy expires in June 2019. An excess levy has been approved in Kanawha County since 1937 and approximately 75% of West Virginia counties have an active excess levy. Our excess levy makes up 19% of the current expense fund budget.
This year’s Kanawha County Schools levy includes the following priorities (numbers provided are for first year):
- $39,584,000 for professional, service and substitute wages, including specific funds for custodians, counselors and art teachers.
- $18,577,687 for HVAC improvements at 15 schools with the greatest need.
- $4,869,807 for roofing projects.
- $239,994 for safety & security improvements across the district.
- and, $1,648,512 for athletic turf installation at 7 of 8 high schools.
The 2018 General Election will be held on Tuesday, November 6, 2018. Early voting will also be available in Kanawha County.
On this page you’ll find a variety of resources to use in learning more about Kanawha County Schools’ excess levy proposal. If you have any specific questions, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you.