2018 Excess Levy
We want to wholeheartedly thank Kanawha County voters for passing the excess levy and voting to invest in our schools and our communities!
The passage means updated HVAC systems, fixed roofs, increased safety and security, and turf across the district. The excess levy funding will begin with our FY 2020 budget, beginning in July 2019. We look forward to charting a road map for projects in the coming months and will keep everyone updated on progress.
The excess levy passed by Kanawha County voters for school years beginning 2019-2023 includes the following priorities (numbers provided are for first year):
- $39,584,000 for professional, service and substitute wages, including specific funds for custodians, counselors and art teachers.
- $18,577,687 for HVAC improvements at 15 schools with the greatest need.
- $4,869,807 for roofing projects.
- $239,994 for safety & security improvements across the district.
- and, $1,648,512 for athletic turf installation at 7 of 8 high schools.
Even though excess levy funding will not be available until July 2019, staff has already begun planning for initial projects.
First Projects/Timeline (Year One)
- Capital High School - project movement will start in late fall of 2019 and is anticipated to take two years due to the size of the school and age of the current system and level of needed updates.
- George Washington High School - project movement will start in Fall 2019 and is anticipated to take one year to complete.
- Alum Creek Elementary - project accepted by SBA - anticipated start, Spring of 2020.
- Capital High School - project movement will start in at the same time as the HVAC project and run concurrently with the HVAC repairs.
- Other smaller schools will be added once we understand better the amount of funding.
Athletic Turf Installation
- Sissonville High School - project movement will start in July 2019 and is anticipated to be done early September 2019.
- Riverside High School - project movement will start in July 2019 and is anticipated to be done early September 2019.
- The other 5 high schools included in the excess levy will see project movement in Spring 2020, thanks to savings from financing the project.
- The Capital High School soccer field has been included in the financing package and will be included as part of the larger project as ballot projects are completed.
If you have any specific questions, please e-mail email@example.com. Thank you.