Pre-screening and Acceptance to Alternative Certification Program
1. Submit Kanawha County Schools (KCS) online application.
2. Schedule, take and pass the appropriate PRAXIS specialty area and core exam (if you have not already done so).
3. Receive an invitation for an interview.
4. Receive a Letter of Eligibility that allows you to interview for vacant positions.
5. KCS Human Resources will forward your application and resume to principals with available positions.
6. Interview with school principals.
7. Receive an employment offer. NOTE: You will be required to sign a letter of agreement to remain in a position with KCS for two years.
8. Submit West Virginia Department of Education (WVDE) alternative certification program application and application fee. You will receive this information once your interview has been completed and a recommendation has been made.
Please be aware that due to the limited number of Alternative Certification positions available, KCS employment and acceptance to the program are not guaranteed.
The following documents are required as part of this process. We encourage you to collect this information and complete the applications in a timely manner. Some of these documents may take time to receive.
Kanawha County Schools Application:
- Unofficial transcripts from all colleges or universities attended.
- A professional resume.
- Contact information for three professional references (someone who can attest to your professionalism, work ethic, academic background).
- PRAXIS specialty area and core content examination(s) passing score report. If you have not taken the PRAXIS content test yet, you may add this to your KCS application during the district screening process.
West Virginia Department of Education Certification Application:
- $35.00 non-refundable application fee; submitted at the same time of the WVDE application.
- Official sealed college transcripts from each college where you received a degree.
- PRAXIS Score Report - Content PRAXIS Exam as required by WVDE (approximate cost is $120, but varies by subject).
- Electronic Fingerprint Process – In-state applicants can schedule an appointment for fingerprinting by contacting L-1 Enrollment Services at L1enrollment.com. Out-of-State applicants may request a fingerprint card from the Educator Certification web site for manual submission of fingerprints. The fingerprinting cost is $47.25. Fingerprinting costs are not included in the $35.00 application fee.
- Copy of Social Security Card (US).