About the Program
The mission of the Alternative Certification Program is to prepare, support and retain highly committed, talented individuals as outstanding educators in Kanawha County Schools.
- A small cohort.
- Intensive involvement of effective clinical mentors, school administrators, instructional coaches and supervisors.
- Opportunities for active participation in professional learning communities; within the school and the community contexts.
- A curriculum framework aligned to WV College and Career ready, taught by district personnel, focused on student learning and current educational research and applied to the Teaching Resident’s classroom practices
- Collaborative partnership with RESA 3.
- Professional, rewarding experiences that lead to long-term employment in the district.
- Employment as a full-time teacher in Kanawha County Schools.
- Little or no tuition.
- Coursework designed for Alternative Teaching Residents.
- Intensive summer pre-service training and ongoing, focused professional development.
- A cohort model providing support and networking opportunities.
- An individualized Teaching Resident Support Team.
- Mentors who are specifically trained to work with novice teachers.
- Onsite support throughout the year.
- Curriculum taught by experts in their field; educators who are knowledgeable and passionate about the art and science of teaching.